This was the day of the first race, the 1500 metres. My race was at 15:00 so I was able to have a reasonably relaxed preparation. My goals for this race, as I posted on Facebook, were… (1) Get a season's best. (2) Don't get lapped (3) Don't come last (4) Don't be sh*t. I noted that Joe Gough from Ireland, the current world champion, was in my heat and that I've never been lapped in a 1500 metres race. I spoke to Joe before the race, he asked me how many qualify from each heat. I explained that it was the first three from each heat then the 10 fastest losers. I succeeded in achieving each of my four goals. As it happens, Bo Larsson, a familiar adversary from Sweden, was in my heat. His season’s best time was 6:00.0 so I figured that he would be a good target. I tracked him and outsprinted him in the final few metres. We finished in times of 6:12.73 and 6:13,36 respectively. By making him my target I achieved a seasons’ best by 10 seconds. I would not have caught ...
Comments
Post a Comment